Connect with us

Bears

George McCaskey Seems Unpleased With Ryan Pace’s Due Diligence

Bears’ chairman George McCaskey had a telling response when asked about Ryan Pace’s approach to the 2017 NFL Draft.

George McCaskey Bears
Photo: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Chicago Bears’ owner and chairman George McCaskey appeared on 670 The Score this afternoon for a follow-up interview after yesterday’s end-of-season press conference. During the interview, there was a specific question and answer sequence that seemed a bit peculiar. Here’s how it played out:

Danny Parkins: “How satisfied are you with Ryan Pace’s due diligence on Deshaun Watson prior to the 2017 NFL draft?”

George McCaskey: “He kept me informed on his decision-making and up to date on information.”

The complete lack of a response to a valid question gives us more than we expected. The fact that McCaskey entirely dodged the question and responded with a generality gives off the vibe that he is indeed unhappy that Pace ignored the Clemson quarterback. If he was truly pleased with Pace’s execution prior to the 2017 NFL Draft, then he would have answered the inquiry in a more specific and decisive fashion.

Anyone who follows collegiate football, professional football, and the transition of players from college to the NFL watched Deshaun Watson lead the Clemson Tigers in a comeback win over Alabama in the BCS Championship Game. There was absolutely no doubting who Watson was as a player. Looking back on the 2017 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears held the third overall pick and traded up to attain the second overall pick. That should have been a move to draft Deshaun Watson as the Bears’ franchise quarterback.

Ryan Pace failed there, obviously, and George McCaskey knows it. McCaskey can deflect the hard questions as often as he speaks, but the truth lies in the ineptitude of Ryan Pace as he didn’t even meet with Watson, which proves that Pace has no business being in the Bears’ front office. After almost four years since that colossal mistake, Pace remains at the helm of the sinking ship that is the Chicago Bears.

Husband and father, Chicago (mostly) sports fan, total gym rat and geek enthusiast. I write for OnTapSportsNet and talk fantasy football on the Fantasy Hour On Tap. Gaming, movies, TV shows, books, and bodybuilding/strongman are some of my other passions. A good-tasting white ale goes well with any sporting event. #Crackum

15 Comments
Notify of
guest

15 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Stanley
Stanley
8 months ago

Pace wanted Watson but McCaskey told him to go with Trubisky because he is Polish! McCaskey is Polish and Chicago has the largest Polish community outside of Warsaw.

Josh
Josh
8 months ago

Virginia McCaskey and co don’t want a Black QB on the team…. So Pace had to do what he could.

Zia
Zia
8 months ago

Bottom line, this is my team I will do as I please. That being said, he is being cheap in retaining them both (I guess for the length of the contract). If he was really impressed with their performance he would have extended their contracts.

Renard James
Renard James
8 months ago

agree with you my friend, no knock on trubitsky he just needs time , no QB in college with only 9 starts can come into the NFL and be successful off bat. Hell A Rodgers had to sit on the bench a while and learn. Look what Greenbay is doing with the QB they just drafted. The bears needed someone like watson or mahomes who could jump right in and play. But we witnessed a lot of bad moves by ryan pace. We are about to lose A Roberson because of this guy.

Clyde Pritchett
Clyde Pritchett
8 months ago

You can pick me 40,000.00 and I will give u 100% better picks in this draft than Pace gave u in the trade for KM. Anybody that watch football who had a have you a better Quaterback

Ernest Halley
Ernest Halley
8 months ago

I lived in Chicago for 50 yrs, I think that the Bears is one of the worst run franchises in the NFL. They have made some of the worst draft choices ever made. Except during the Jim Fisk era. We need a GM that knows how to build a team, like Fisk.

Robb T
Robb T
8 months ago

I have determined from the press conferences on Wednesday that Ted Phillips is still just an accountant wirh no real football knowledge or experience. Ryan Pace lacked sincerity and with his vague comments proved to me that he is in way over his head as a general manager.

Michael Cohen
Michael Cohen
8 months ago

As a lifelong resident of the Chicago area and a bears fan I’m personally disturbed that due to family dynamics and the fact that all of the descendants of George Halas are filthy rich due to luck and youd think they might want to be among the best? This pompous fool looks like some throwback to the golden age of homosexuality posing as an owner of what should be one of the top teams in the league instead of the laughingstock they’ve allowed themselves to become ,I call on my fellow fans to boycott tickets ,merchandise and any or all things that further enrich this inbred embarrassment of family and to think George Halas would leave these clowns in charge of his beloved team ,Wake up people and hurt these rich, undeserving mothefuckers where they feel it ,in the bottom line, I pray I live to see this team finally sold to someone willing to hire football people to run this team not people like Ted Phillips etc just another effeminate douchebag who deserves to be hung

Listen To Bears On Tap Podcast