Major League Soccer revealed the 2022 schedule in its entirety Wednesday as the league enters its 27th season. The Chicago Fire, along with the other now 27 clubs in the league, subsequently announced their schedules.
They already knew of the season and home openers, where the Fire will take on Inter Miami (Feb. 26, 5 PM CST) and Orlando City (Mar. 5, 5 PM CST), respectively.
The Fire have a pretty balanced schedule as they alternate matches home and away for nearly all of the first two months of the season. The only back-to-back matches during this portion of the season are at home vs. Sporting Kansas City (Mar. 19, 5 PM) and FC Dallas (Apr. 2, 2:30 PM).
Long stretches at Soldier Field or away from the lakefront are limited as well. The Fire play just one three-game stretch of away games (May 18, 22, 28) and one three-game stretch of home games (July 9, 13, 16).
The Fire will play more than five games in a single calendar month just once (July).
Besides the season and home openers, here are some key dates on the Fire’s calendar:
- Defending champions NYCFC: Away May 22, 4 PM CT; Home Aug. 21, 5 PM CT
- Supporter’s Shield winners New England Revolution: Away Aug. 31, 6:30 PM CT; Home Oct. 9, TBD
- Expansion side Charlotte FC: Away Aug. 6, 6 PM CT; Home Sept. 17, 7 PM CT
- Ezra Hendrickson’s Former Club: Home July 9, 7 PM CT; Away Sept. 3, 6:30 PM CT
The 2022 MLS All-Star Game will be located in Minnesota on August 10. The regular season will end on October 9.
- No more than five games in a month besides July
- All-Star game?
- Balanced home-away until Mid May and July. Then two games home-away balance until the last month of the season
This Year’s Schedule Hits Different
Due to the 2022 World Cup set to kick off in November, MLS needed to move up their season to allow the playoffs to finish before the World Cup started. That is why the MLS regular season is kicking off in February for the first time.
The expansion side of Charlotte FC added a 28th team to the league. Nashville SC moved over to the Western Conference, giving each conference 14 teams.
Each team will play every other team in their conference twice, one home and one away. All schedules will also include eight matches against opponents from the opposite conference, resulting in a total of 34 regular-season matches.
Follow On Tap Sports Net on social media!