With pick No. 255, which is the Chicago Bears' final selection of the 2022 NFL Draft, the team selected punter Trenton Gill out of NC State. The Bears acquired the 255th selection via trade by sending a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Chargers for the 254th and 255th selections.
Gill, who played soccer and football in high school, walked on at NC State. For the 2019 season, he earned third-team All-ACC honors, ranking third in the FBS with 47.6 yards per punt. In 2020, he was named to the AFCA Allstate Good Works Team for his community service. Then, in 2021 he was named first-team all-conference, averaging 45.1 yards per punt. Gill also served as a kickoff specialist for three years.
The Chicago Bears' final 2022 Draft Class includes 11 players in total:
- CB - Kyler Gordon (Pick 39 / 2nd Round)
- S - Jaquan Brisker (Pick 48 / 2nd Round)
- WR/KR/PR - Velus Jones Jr (Pick 71 / 3rd Round)
- OL - Braxton Jones (Pick 168 / 5th Round)
- EDGE - Dominique Robinson (Pick 174 / 5th Round)
- OL - Zachary Thomas (Pick 186 / 6th Round)
- RB/KR/PR - Trestan Ebner (Pick 203 / 6th Round)
- C - Doug Kramer (Pick 207 / 6th Round)
- OL - Ja'Tyre Carter (Pick 226 / 7th Round)
- S - Elijah Hicks (Pick 254 / 7th Round)
- P - Trenton Gill (Pick 255 / 7th Round)